- High US commander in Afghanistan says steps to finish navy mission launched.
- Earlier this month, US President Joe Biden stated he would withdraw troops from Afghanistan earlier than September 11.
- It’s the twentieth anniversary of militant assaults on the World Commerce Centre and the Pentagon that launched the Afghan struggle.
KABUL: The commander of overseas forces in Afghanistan, U.S. Military Common Scott Miller, on Sunday stated an orderly withdrawal of overseas forces and the handing over of navy bases and tools to the Afghan forces had begun.
Miller stated he was performing on orders primarily based on U.S. President Joe Biden’s determination to finish America’s longest struggle, deeming the extended and intractable battle in Afghanistan now not aligned with American priorities.
Earlier this month Biden stated he would withdraw troops from Afghanistan earlier than Sept. 11, the twentieth anniversary of the militant assaults on the World Commerce Centre and the Pentagon that launched the Afghan struggle.
Miller, who has been commanding the U.S. forces and the NATO Resolute Assist Mission in Afghanistan of their battle towards the Taliban and different Islamist militant teams since 2018, stated overseas forces will proceed to have “the military means and capability to fully protect themselves during the ongoing retrograde and will support the Afghan security forces.”
Learn extra: Biden to formally announce withdrawal of all US troops from Afghanistan
“I’ve had the opportunity to talk to Taliban members with the Taliban Political Commission, and I’ve told them a return to violence, an effort to force a military decision, would be a tragedy for Afghanistan and the Afghan people,” Miller instructed reporters within the capital Kabul.
The Taliban dominated Afghanistan from 1996 to 2001, after they had been ousted by U.S.-led forces. Since then they’ve waged a long-running insurgency and now management large swathes of territory.
Safety specialists in latest weeks stated they doubt if the Taliban will permit U.S. forces, whom they name invaders, to peacefully exit the nation at a time when clashes between the Afghan forces and the Taliban haven’t ebbed.
International power withdrawal is slated to start on Might 1, consistent with an settlement with the Taliban in 2020.
Learn extra: Turkey’s Erdogan discusses Afghan peace with PM Imran Khan amid US withdrawal
“As we retrograde to zero U.S. forces, we will turn over the (military) bases primarily to the (Afghan) Ministry of Defense and other Afghan forces,” Miller stated including that the Taliban have dedicated to interrupt their relationship with al Qaeda, the Islamist extremist group.
The Taliban authorities’s sheltering of Al-Qaeda was the important thing cause for the U.S. invasion of Afghanistan after the September 2001 assaults.
A United Nations report in January stated there have been as many as 500 al Qaeda fighters in Afghanistan and that the Taliban maintained a detailed relationship with them. The Taliban denies al Qaeda presence in Afghanistan. (Reporting by Rupam Jain, Enhancing by Hugh Lawson)