- A declare for Rs500 million towards singer Ali Zafar was heard within the Sindh Excessive Court docket
- Petitioner’s lawyer mentioned that Ali Zafar must be stopped from posting defamatory tweets.
- The courtroom mentioned that if the reply isn’t submitted in time, it should hear the petitioner’s lawyer on the subsequent listening to and situation a restraining order.
KARACHI: The Sindh Excessive Court docket (SHC) on on Monday ordered singer Ali Zafar to answer a Rs500-million defamation case, filed by Pakistani makeup-artist and activist Leena Ghani, by February 15.
Ghani had earlier filed a declare for Rs500 million towards Zafar on the SHC, interesting to the judiciary “to stop Mr Zafar and his army of trolls from harassing me further”.
Ghani’s lawyer, in his feedback, requested the courtroom to chorus Ali Zafar from posting defamatory tweets towards her. If, nevertheless, the singer assured to not repeat such actions, she would withdraw the petition, her counsel added.
However, Zafar’s lawyer claimed that they’d not tweeted something of objection and that they’d reply within the courtroom after reviewing Ghani’s petition.
Zafar’s counsel additionally requested the courtroom to set a date in March to submit the reply however the SHC turned it down, saying his authorized group had till February 15 to reply.
Learn extra: Meesha Shafi defamation case: Court docket points written order of Ali Zafar’s claims
The courtroom additional warned that if a reply was not submitted in time, it might hear the petitioner’s lawyer on the subsequent listening to and situation a restraining order towards Zafar.
Leena Ghani, a make-up artist, earlier filed a lawsuit claiming Rs500 million in damages from the famend singer and artist for allegedly defaming her on social media and being “harassed, maligned and labelled as liars when we speak up against sexual harassment in our own country”.
In a collection of tweets, Ghani had underscored that “Pakistan is my home, as it is for millions of other women” and that it was unfair how she was being handled.
“They said go to the courts. So I did,” she wrote on Twitter. “I’ve moved the courtroom to cease Mr. Zafar and his military of trolls from harassing me additional.
“Across the board female activists, journalists and lawyers are being targeted for being vocal and speaking up on women-based issues, especially the MeToo movement.”
Ghani said it was high time “we battle again and create authorized priority that protects all ladies towards sexual harassment and defamation”. She also thanked allies and supporters “for being so courageous” and the “fixed love and assist”.
Learn extra: Supreme Court docket grants go away in Meesha Shafi’s office harassment case